CoR Compliance Email Update – 3rd July 2015
Welcome to your weekly CoR Compliance Email Update! This update will help you to keep up to date with the Chain of Responsibility laws that govern the transport and logistics industry.
Industry and legislation updates
NHVR CEO: SA road train laws boost national productivity
Recent improvements to heavy vehicle regulations in South Australia will have national productivity benefits, National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) CEO Sal Petroccitto believes.
New fatigue scheme allows truck drivers to work 11 days straight
Truck drivers hauling livestock will be able to work up to 11 days straight under a new fatigue management scheme to be introduced next month.
COR resources the focus of Victoria Police scrutiny
Victoria Police is putting its chain of responsibility investigation practices under the microscope.
Industry warned on oversize loads after truck shuts down motorway off-ramp
The trucking industry has been warned about meeting its obligations when it comes to oversized loads after a truck shut down a motorway off-ramp earlier this week.
Truck driving – Australia’s ‘deadliest’ job says Transport Workers Union
Mr Bowering, who is paid $24 an per hour to drive trucks for Blue Star Global in South Australia, said he and other drivers were being forced to take safety risks that could result in death. Other motorists were particularly vulnerable.
Truckie on ice ‘horrifying’, but not to blame in fatal crash
A B-DOUBLE truck driver whose trailer was hit in a double fatality at Woodburn while he was under the influence of the drug ice in August 2014 has been disqualified from driving for 18 months.
EPA fines Hunter companies for trucking dangerous goods
The Environment Protection Authority has fined a Maitland trucking firm and Lake Macquarie Fibreglass Company over the unsafe transport of dangerous goods.
Weekly CoR implementation tip
Does your organisation have a Hazard Observation Procedure?
The Hazard Observation Procedure (also known as a Safety Observation Procedure or HSE Observation Procedure) sets out the requirements and processes to enable employees to identify and report hazards in the workplace in an effective and systematic manner. The Hazard Observation Procedure is a behaviour-based safety procedure that supports the Risk Management Procedure.
The Hazard Observation Procedure specifies that employees must be provided with the:
- skills and knowledge of the types of hazards and how to identify them;
- skills and knowledge of appropriate immediate corrective actions within their area of responsibility;
- tools to easily report the hazard (for example, a Hazard Observation Form).
Does your Hazard Observation Procedure include the following stages:
- the purpose and scope of the procedure;
- the relationship between hazard observations and the Risk Management Framework;
- a detailed explanation of the common types of hazards in the workplace and how to identify them;
- a detailed explanation of immediate corrective actions within an employee’s area of responsibility;
- the steps to conduct a hazard observation (including a Safety Conversation);
- the process and tool to report the hazard;
- responsibilities for corrective actions after a hazard observation is reported;
- key records and reporting outputs for hazard observations;
- Requirements for regular monitoring, review and audit of hazard observations.
If you have subscribed to our full access subscription, you have access to the full suite of CoR Framework templates consisting of 59 policies, procedures and tools that are ready to implement into your workplace. If you would like to upgrade your subscription, just call us on 1300 362 226.
Did you miss a previous CoR Compliance Email Update?
As a subscriber you have access to previous CoR Compliance Email Updates. Simply login to the subscriber’s area and select the Email Update that you missed.
Do you have a question?
As a subscriber you have access to our CoR Compliance Services Helpdesk where you can email our CoR Specialists a question and they will respond to you directly. Simply login to the subscriber’s area and send in your question.
We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with your CoR compliance initiatives.