Trucking Firm Apologises for Sydney Harbour Bridge Spill

sydney harbour bridge spill


The company responsible for the spill on Sydney Harbour Bridge recently has apologised for the incident as the RMS conducted inspections on the company’s fleet.

Parts of the busy bridge were covered in dirt after a truck spilled its load. The company responsible apologised to those who were affected by the spill. Authorities carried out a fleet inspection for evidence of defects on the rest of the company’s heavy vehicles.

According to reports the rear trailer of the truck was unlatched on the bridge on January 22nd, leaving a trail of landfill 3km long.

The incident forced authorities to close lanes, which affected traffic for over 3 hours while the road was cleared.

RMS Manager of compliance operations Paul Endycott explained that the inspections uncovered 4 major defects involving brake issues.

He explained  in an article on

“There were a further 35 minor defects uncovered for faults including oil and fuel leaks, loose tow attachments and unreadable number plates,” Endycott says.


The company stated on its Facebook page that it is working with the RMS and the New South Wales Police in the investigations being carried out. The company stated:

“We know this [incident] is unacceptable and we unreservedly apologise to all those affected. We would also like to thank the RMS, Sydney Harbour Bridge Authority and Emergency Services including NSW Police for their support,” the company says.

“Moits have been in business for over 33 years and have a great track record, Moits fleet is always well maintained and records are kept up to date.”


The company said it believed most people were understanding that the incident was an accident and that it had received kind messages on social media, for which it was thankful.

The company stated:

“Once again we dearly apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your patience,” Moits says.


Mr Endycott explained that the clean-up was a long and intense process which involved the use of bobcats and sweepers to clear away all the dirt and rocks that had blocked several traffic lanes.

Traffic heading in and out of Sydney was affected.

Authorities found the trailer to have worn and faulty tailgate locks, for which the company were issued a defect notice.